Great West Casualty Trucking was founded more than 60 years ago with the goal of becoming the premier provider of insurance products for truckers. In 1985, the company joined the Old Republic Insurance Group.
The company’s coverage options are designed especially for truckers and trucking companies.
Great West Casualty’s (GWC) extensive network of agents allows for flexible underwriting for customized coverage in each unique situation. The company also offers educational resources to help reduce lost time on the road and accidents.
Great West Insurance Coverage Options
GWC offers many different types of commercial truck insurance, including:
Policy and coverage limits can be customized to meet the needs of drivers and trucking companies.
The company will determine your annual premium based on your operations, and then break down that premium into convenient monthly payments based on mileage, gross revenue and the value of your equipment.
GWC also offers a commercial auto extension endorsement to cover exposure assumed under lease agreements, loans and contracts. The company provides blanket coverage for two types of contracts:
- An agreement or contract signed when trip leasing to another trucker.
- An agreement or contract signed for the loan, rental or lease of an auto.
GWC’s cargo insurance product is comprehensive and designed to minimize loss, as recovery and salvage of the cargo is their top priority.
Optional Hired Auto Cargo coverage is also available, which extends cargo protection to loads that you’re responsible for under a bill of lading. This coverage may be required if:
- You ask another trucker with limited or no cargo insurance to haul a portion of your goods;
- You rent or borrow an additional unit; or
- You permit another carrier to “trip lease” to haul freight under your authority.
There’s also Infidelity/Dishonesty coverage available, which extends cargo protection to cover losses due to a dishonest employee or owner-operator driver while the property is in or on the truck.
GWC’s General Liability policy covers operations and premises exposures to protect your financial assets.
The policy provides broad coverage for:
- Property damage (with the exclusion of autos) and bodily injury
- Some medical expenses
- Personal and advertising injury
- Fire legal liability on rental property
- Product and completed operations
- Erroneous delivery of products
The company also provides additional coverage for:
- Employee benefits liability
- Garagekeepers coverage
Owner-operators need a wide range of insurance products to protect from liability and loss. GWC’s owner-operator coverages include:
- Choice Plus: Bundled coverages for owner operators, which includes personal property, electronic equipment, miscellaneous equipment, rental reimbursement, mechanical breakdown, and emergency expenses.
- Cargo: Covers cargo losses and assists in the recovery and salvage of cargo.
- Equipment: Covers miscellaneous equipment, such as chains, tie-downs, tarps and binders that secure cargo to trailers.
- Lease Value & Finance Value: Kicks in when the cost to pay off a loan or lease exceeds your unit’s ACV (actual cash value).
- Non-Trucking Use: For owner-operators who lease their equipment, long-term, to motor carriers.
- Motor Carrier Reimbursement: Reimburses owner-operators for property loss they are contractually responsible to a motor carrier.
- Physical Damage: Helps with the cost of getting your equipment repaired.
GWC has established long-term relationships with repair facilities, parts suppliers and towing companies. Their physical damage coverage leverages these relationships to help with the cost of getting your equipment up and running again.
Additional physical damage coverage options include:
- Hire auto physical damage
- Electronic equipment
- Rental reimbursement
- Single deductible endorsement
- Trailer interchange coverage
GWC offers specialty coverages that address unique or specific situations. These coverages can address certain types of cargo and trucking operations.
Policyholders who want protection against catastrophic losses can take advantage of GWC’s Umbrella policy. This policy provides broad coverage to protect your assets.
The Umbrella policy offers:
- Liability coverage for property damage, bodily injury, personal injury and advertising.
- Self-insured retention, as low as $10,000, for claims covered by the umbrella and not the underlying policy.
- Worldwide coverage.
- Installment payment options.
- First-dollar defense coverage for covered losses when there is no primary insurance available.
- No exclusion for employee suits.
- Pollution coverage.
Trucking companies can purchase GWC’s Workers’ Compensation coverage. The company will assist with claims, and also help you prevent and reduce future injuries.
GWC also offers additional employee-related coverage. These coverages will not replace workers’ compensation coverage, but they can provide additional protections.
Occupational Accident coverage, for example, will cover an independent contractor for injuries sustained while working within the scope of the job.
GWC generally focuses on companies with the following driver qualifications:
- 23 years of age or older
- No DUIs in the last six years
- Valid CDL in the driver’s home state
- No license suspensions in the last 3 years
- Minimum 2 years of experience operating tractor/trailer equipment
- No more than 4 moving violations in the last 38 months, and no more than 2 in the last year.
- No felony convictions
Policies are also available for trucking companies that use owner-operators.
Great West Casualty Claims Process
GWC understands that policyholders want fast, efficient claims service. The company has physical damage and cargo professionals who can handle claims quickly and efficiently to get you back on the road as soon as possible.
If necessary, the company will even dispatch an aircraft to the scene of the accident to launch an investigation immediately. Aircraft can also be used to salvage perishable loads.
Experienced liability adjusters and legal departments are just a phone call away.