Colonial Insurance specializes in insurance for both fleets and owner-operators. They provide a wide range of coverage for trucking operations of all kinds, and their comprehensive coverage is designed to eliminate costly gaps in coverage.
The company works with fleet owners to analyze their coverage gaps, identify potential loss exposures and recommend limits of liability for physical property and financial assets.
- One of the Southeast’s largest truck insurance providers
- Family-owned and operated
- Known for their friendly and honest service
The company provides 24/7 access to your certificate of insurance online.
Colonia’s comprehensive line-up of coverage options ensures that all fleet owners and owner-operators obtain the coverage they need.
Colonial Trucking Insurance Policies
General Liability Policies
All carriers and for-hire truckers must have a general liability insurance policy. This coverage will pay for property damage or injuries caused by business activities that are not related to operating your truck, such as:
- Loading and unloading using equipment that is not attached to the truck or trailer, like a crane or forklift.
- Bodily injury resulting from self-defense.
- Libel and slander exposure.
- Erroneous delivery of products.
Colonial’s liability policy will cover:
- Personal injury
- Bodily and property damage liability
- Advertising injury liability (covers injury to an entity or person that is not physical in nature and the result of your negligence)
- Damages to a premises rented by you
- Medical bills
- Products/completed operations (covers bodily injury or property damage that occurred while delivering someone else’s goods)
Dump Truck Insurance Coverage
Colonial offers specialized coverage for carriers using dump trucks to transport sand, dirt, gravel, asphalt, rock and other loose materials used in construction, mining, quarries, road work, fracking and other similar jobs.
Coverage may include:
- Physical damage coverage for trucks and trailers in case of a collision, overturn, theft, fire, flood, vandalism and other events.
- Primary liability coverage for injuries or damages to property or people in the event of an at-fault accident.
- Personal injury protection or medical payments to cover medical and other expenses to drivers and passengers in a covered vehicle, regardless of fault.
- Loan or lease gap to ensure you don’t owe more than a vehicle is worth in case of a total loss.
- Downtime coverage can be added to protect against lost income in the event of a covered loss.
- Truck rental reimbursement to keep you working after a covered event. Colonial will reimburse a large percentage of rental costs.
Hot Shot Insurance Coverage
Hot shot trucking is risky business. Colonial’s comprehensive coverage for hot shot trucking was designed with these challenges and risks in mind.
Coverage can include:
- Collision and comprehensive to protect tractors and trailers against collisions, fire, theft, vandalism and other covered causes of loss.
- Towing and storage to cover the cost of towing and storing damaged equipment.
- Coverage for chains, ramps, binder and tarps to protect these items against collision, fire, theft, vandalism and other covered causes of loss.
- Loading and unloading to cover commodities while they are being loaded or unloaded.
- Broadened pollution provision for greater liability coverage for pollutants that may be discharged in an accident.
- Debris removal to cover reasonable costs of removing debris after an accident.
- Combined deductibles so that you can pay one deductible if an accident causes cargo loss and tractor and trailer damage.
- Loss mitigation to cover costs related to preventing further damaged cargo.
- Earned freight, which covers lost income if a covered event prevents a load from being delivered.
- Downtime coverage which provides up to $100 per day for 30 days if a truck is damaged in an accident.
- Medical payments to cover doctor bills if an injury occurs while operating a truck.
- Loan/lease gap coverage to ensure that you don’t owe more than your vehicle is worth in case of a total loss.
- Family emergency expenses of up to $2,500 for family travel expenses if you are injured while you’re away from home.
By law, hazmat trucks are required to carry insurance liability coverage ranging from $1 million to $5 million per accident. Trucks hauling hazardous materials are highly regulated by state and federal laws for public safety.
Colonial Insurance is a leading provider of hazmat truck insurance. They provide:
- Help with DOT safety and compliance
- Custom analysis of SMS/CSA scores and recommendations on how to lower them
- Pre-employment screening reports and MVR for drivers
- Discounts on truck dash cameras purchased from their network of providers
- A dedicated safety engineer to reduce accidents and claim frequency
A comprehensive hazmat liability policy from Colonial includes:
- Excess liability up to $50 million
- Pollution liability endorsement to cover cleanup expenses in case of an accident
- Collision and comprehensive to protect tractors and trailers against collision, overturn, upset, fire, vandalism, theft and other losses.
- Hazmat hauler’s general liability to cover non-trucking related claims, such as wrongful delivery of liquids. This coverage is typically required by contracts.
- Loading and unloading, which provides cargo coverage for the commodity during loading and unloading.
- Combined deductibles, which allows policyholders to pay one deductible if a loss involves cargo and physical damage.
- Personal injury protection or medical payments, which covers medical and other related expenses for drivers and passengers in your vehicle, regardless of fault.
- Loan or lease gap coverage to ensure that a total vehicle loss does not result in you being underwater on your lease or loan.
- Downtime coverage can be added to protect against income loss if a covered event occurs.
- Truck rental reimbursement to keep you working after a covered loss.
Flatbed truck accidents often involve cargo spills and cargo shifting. Colonial’s policies provide comprehensive coverage that is tailored to your needs.
Coverage can include:
- Comprehensive and collision to protect tractors and trailers against collisions, fire, vandalism, theft and other causes of loss.
- Towing and storage coverage for expenses related to the storage and towing of damaged equipment.
- Coverage for ramps, tarps, chains and binders to protect equipment against collision, theft, fire and other losses.
- Loading and unloading coverage for the commodity while it’s being loaded and unloaded.
- Debris removal coverage to cover the cost of removing debris left by a covered loss.
- Broadened pollution provision to cover the discharge of pollutants inside, upon, being transported by, owned, loaded or unloaded by a covered vehicle.
- Sue and labor coverage to cover costs related to preventing further losses to damaged cargo. This coverage is also known as loss mitigation.
- Earned freight coverage to replace lost income when loads can’t be delivered because of a covered cargo loss.
Colonial also offers extra coverage options that can be added to policies for an additional cost, including:
- Blanket Additional Insured
- Broadened Pollution coverage (CA9948)
- Trailer Interchange
- Blanket Waiver of Subrogation
- Rental Reimbursement or Loss of Use
- Blanket Thirty Day Notice of Cancellation
- Non-Owned Auto Liability Coverage
- Driver Other Car Coverage
- Hired Car Liability and Physical Damage
- Towing and Labor
Why Choose Colonial Insurance?
Colonial Trucking Insurance has more than 500 clients and insures more than 7,500 trucks.
They work with major companies in the industry, including:
- Northland Insurance
- National Indemnity Company
- Seneca Companies
- Canal Insurance
- Carolina Casualty
Colonial only insures trucks – nothing else.
Their specialization and expertise in the industry means that they understand the challenges and needs of fleet owners and owner-operators.
It’s easy to get a quote through Colonial by filling out an online form or calling the company directly.